***Our 2019-2020 New Student Orientation will be on Saturday, March 30th from 4-5pm. Cost is $15 per person. Please use the contact form to give us advance notice of your intention to attend. You will also be required to bring the completed policy forms found above. Mahalo and we look forward to meeting you!***
We will be in our NEW Studio next month, April 2019! First class back from our Spring Break will be on April 8th. New address is 1929 E Ray Rd. Ste 1. Chandler.
When you become a new haumana (student) with Ho'okahi I Ka Hula, handouts are given to study with. It is a requirement that you fill out the New Student Information sheet and policy agreement and give it to the instructor on the day that you arrive. Whether you are just an observer or a participant, you must hand in the completed forms. Above are the four sheets in PDF format. Lyric sheets will be given, as well as 'olelo (language) sheets. Please email the instructor through the Contact tab above to give adequate notice before your arrival.
- ALL Classes are $50/month. $10 total discount for each additional class if a single person enrolls in an additional class in the same month. Each additional class enrolled in, will discount an additional $10. (ie: $50 first class + $40 second class + $40 third class). This discount applies only to an individual student.
- Please note: ‘Ukulele class is not a part of the Multiple Class Discount program. It will remain at $50/mo.
- A one-time $5 total discount is given each month for each family member add-on. (ie: $50 first student + $45 second student).
- A $15 late fee will be assessed if tuition isn’t paid on or before the first of the new month. (ie: $50 tuition + $15 late fee = $65 will be owed if paid on the 2nd of the month or later). An additional $15 fee will be charged for each new month until your account is paid in full. You will not be allowed to return to class the following month until previous tuition and fees are paid.
Cash (exact change only, please), Venmo, Zelle or Apple Pay. Checks and Credit Card payments are not accepted.
$60/hr current group students. $80/hr new students. Extra flat fee if a specific song needs to be choreographed for your event. Songs 2 minutes or longer will incur additional fees.
Recording video/audio and taking photos during classes is not allowed.
1929 E Ray Rd. Ste 1
Chandler, AZ 85225
Crossroads are Ray x Cooper. We are on the southwest corner, in between the storage company and the dental office.
Be sure to have your completed forms in hand, whether you decide to dance or not!
**If you are interested in performing at the 2020 Arizona Aloha Festival, you will need to register and pay for tuition no later than August 2019.**
Upcoming Classes at the NEW Studio!
Start Date: April 8, 2019
All classes will require a minimum of 7 students to begin and continue. Classes are 50 minutes long, to allow 10 minutes for cleanup and wala’au.
- KEIKI - child age 5-12 (some 4 yr olds *may* be accepted)
- MAKUA (adult) and 'OPIO (youth) age 13+
- HO’OPA’A - Learn to chant and pa’i ipu heke with our instructor. You will be required to bring your own ‘ipu heke. You may temporarily use an ipu heke ‘ole until you can get an ‘ipu heke.
- ‘UKULELE - Taught by professional Hawaiian musician, Rudy Dolfo. You will be required to bring your own ‘ukulele (not a toy version, please) and a portable chair, if you wish. You will also need to bring a notebook and pen/pencil.
- HULA - Learn traditional basics and customs of Hula. Hula kahiko, hula ‘auana, chanting, costuming, little bits of language and more. Royal purple pa’u skirt required for kaikamahine (girls) and wahine (women). Kane (men) and keiki kane (boys) are not required to have a pa’u but may choose to wear one.
- ORI TAHITI - Learn the basics of Tahitian dance. This class is very strenuous and is an excellent workout. Royal blue pareo required for girls and women.
- ‘OLELO HAWAI’I - Learn the basics of the Hawaiian language. “Ma ka hana ka ‘ike”, In working, one learns. This class will require shame to be left at home, as you will be required to say Hawaiian words out loud. The goal at the end of the year will be to have simple conversations with each other in Hawaiian. Required items to bring: binder, lined paper, notecards (200, to start), pen, pencil & markers.
CLASS SCHEDULE (Rev 3/24/19)
Monday 6:00-6:50pm Ho’opa’a - all levels welcome!
Monday 7:00-7:50pm Makua/‘Ōpio Hula "Pikake Class" (by invite only)
Monday 8:00-8:50pm Makua/‘Ōpio Tahitian "Parau Class" (by invite only)
Tuesday 6:00-6:50pm Beginning ‘Ōlelo Hawai'i (Hawaiian Language) - all levels welcome!
Tuesday 7:00-7:50pm PRIVATE LESSON (please do not disturb)
Tuesday 8:00-8:50pm PRIVATE LESSON (please do not disturb)
Thursday 6:00-6:50pm Beginning 'Ukulele
Thursday 7:00-7:50pm Keiki Hula/Tahitian "'Ilima Class" - all levels welcome!
Thursday 8:00-8:50pm Tane (Men) TAHITIAN ages 13+
Saturday 10:20:10:50am PRIVATE LESSON (please do not disturb)
Saturday 11:00-11:50am Makua/‘Ōpio HULA (same as 1pm Class - for overflow)
Saturday 12:00-12:50pm Keiki Hula/Tahitian "'Ilima Class" - all levels welcome! (*Please note that this class is almost full - you can still sign up for our Thursday 7pm class!)
Saturday 1:00-1:50pm Makua/‘Ōpio HULA "Mokihana Class" - all levels welcome! (*Please note that this class is full/closed - you can still sign up for our 11am class!)
Saturday 2:00-2:50pm Makua/‘Ōpio TAHITIAN "Tiare Class" - all levels welcome!
Saturday 3:00-3:50pm Beginning 'Ukulele
Saturday 4:00-4:50pm Beginning ‘Ōlelo Hawai’i
Fridays are reserved for ‘Ohana and Sundays are reserved for Ke Akua. Mahalo!
Recording video/audio and taking photos during classes is not allowed. We say this twice because someone always misses it!
*Please bring a bottle of water, a pen/pencil and a binder/folder to store the handouts that will be given to you. If you have a pā’ū practice skirt for hula and a pareo for tahitian, please bring that as well. . There will be no outside viewing of classes that are not your own.
We have a private Facebook page for current-dancers-only, called "Dancers of Halau Ho'okahi I Ka Hula" where we connect and talk about all things Polynesian dance & music related. Please request to join so we can add you once you become a student with us! It is THE BEST form of communication between the instructor and the dancers, so please make sure you stay connected.
PRIVATE Ukulele Lessons:
You may contact Rudy Dolfo directly at 808-255-5767 to schedule.
Please go to www.azluau.com if you would like more information on booking a live hula show in Arizona.